As a three-time loser in my attempt to live a vegan life, I can't help but turn to the many examples of fantastically thriving vegans and compare myself. Like supermodels, these supervegans strut their stuff across the pages of veggie magazines, on the Web and around local healthfood stores, creating an unattainable image of what a real-life vegan looks like. According to them, it's super easy! They don't even seem to be tempted, let alone stray. While they're happy to eat a soy-topped pizza, I dream about oozy melted cheese. While they're lining their closets with cute cruelty-free footwear, I'm picking through the leftover shoe shrapnel for one decent size 11. And while they're marching in solidarity to oppose factory farms, I can't help but apologize sometimes when my food and clothing choices inconvenience people. Supervegans tell us it's fun and easy to be vegan, but I don't find it so.I feel morally compelled to be vegan all the time, but I struggle. Do you struggle, too?

No comments:
Post a Comment