Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Samwise Gamgee : Frodo : : Yes Ve*gan! : Your vegan quest

I came across this quote from a supervegan in Veg News Magazine in response to being asked what her biggest veg challenge was: "'Giving up familiar flavors and foods, especially cheese. I think we sometimes allow ourselves to carry some denial about the true price animals pay for the choices we make. Once I made it a practice to consciously acknowledge the realities of the dairy industry every time I contemplated eating cheese, I quickly lost the taste for it.' Joan Allegretti, vegan since 1997."

I wish I could lose the taste for it! I don't feel my passion is any less enflamed than hers, but why can't I seem to do what she and other supervegans do so effortlessly? Feeling bad about myself and doubting my dedication is precisely the reason I felt the need to write this blog - to be a support group of sorts for vegans who have a hard time. I believe that many wannabes are intimidated by supervegans and never even give it a chance because they are scared to fail.

In my work and volunteer experience for nonprofits, I have always told people that every little bit helps. If you give up meat or dairy or eggs or leather or wool for one week or one year, that makes a difference. Start small and keep working at it. I truly don't believe that I have any less empathy just because I struggle.

No comments:

Post a Comment