Friday, September 18, 2009

Page-a-Day, the vegan way

A couple of weeks ago, I read a headline about the veterinary-approved method for the disposing of male baby chickens in the egg industry. Someone went undercover and shot video of the practice. Now, I knew that male chicks are killed because they can't lay eggs and don't get plump enough to sell for meat, but I didn’t know the exact means. For those of you who don’t know, they drop the male chicks – alive – into grinders. If you would like to read more about the practice, and did I mention this is veterinary-approved?, click here.

I always bought free-range organic, but that don’t mean a thing to the weaker sex in the chick biz. Two of my favorite stores – Trader Joe’s and Whole Foods – purchase eggs from the very company caught on video. I couldn’t bear to watch it. But after reading the article, I felt high on the rekindled passion I have for living a conscientious lifestyle. So I thought, wouldn’t it be great if there were a Page-a-Day rip-off calendar for vegans that had a daily quote, statistic or message that rekindled our passion every morning? That would keep us feeling inspired and help us remember at difficult times why we choose this path?

Having no means to actually make a nice little calendar, I thought a blog might work just as well. I thought there must be others out there who struggle like I do and perhaps we could all benefit from a daily inspiration. Kind of like caffeine for the vegan mind.

No comments:

Post a Comment